As a follow-on to the successful 2018 Life Science Real Estate Development Symposium, the sold out Inaugural Quarterly Breakfast event included a variety of real estate and life science professionals, as well as academics, public officials, architects, contractors, engineers, legal professionals, consultants and professionals from related sectors that have a stake in NYC’s life sciences market.
BioLabs are the premier co-working spaces for life science startups — unique places where entrepreneurs can test, develop and grow game-changing ideas in healthcare and life sciences. The NYC Builds Bio+ inaugural breakfast event highlighted four of these ventures, that will foster the next wave of life science companies in New York City. In a panel moderated by Gensler, a developer and a property owner discussed their plans to convert life science space to commercial use. The closing sessions featured a leader from NYC EDC who spoke on incentives and programs that NYC EDC can deploy for the real estate community around life science projects and developers/property owners who are evaluating or converting a property for life science use. The final talk gave an update on NYC Builds Bio+, its membership program, the 2019 Calendar of Events, working groups and invited community participation.
8:00 AM – 8:30 AM – Breakfast and Networking
8:30 AM – 8:45 AM – Welcome and Overview of the Meeting
- Nancy J Kelley, President & CEO of Nancy J Kelley + Associates.
- Mitch Simpler, Managing Partner, Jaros, Baum & Bolles
8:45 AM – 9:30 AM – Meet the Start-Ups. Speakers below:
- Tri-Institutional Therapeutics Discovery Institute and Bridge Medicines. William J Polvino, MD, the Chief Executive Officer of Bridge Medicines introduced the Tri-Institutional Therapeutics Discovery Institute, a ground-breaking research institution made up of Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, The Rockefeller University and Weill Cornell Medicine to advance their biological studies to preclinical, studies for therapeutics. TDI provides industrial-scale support for academic projects, making it possible to rapidly assess the utility of specific therapeutic topics in disease relevant contexts. https://www.tritdi.org
- Dr. Polvino also described Bridge Medicines, a venture capital arm that advances these promising early technologies for the treatment of disease to human proof of concept through accelerated drug discovery. Bridge Medicine moves break though research to the patient by bringing the best in modern drug discovery to the service of academic medicine. https://bridgemedicines.com
- Meet the Start-Ups of BioLabs@NYULangone. BioLabs @NYULangone opened in the Fall, 2018 with 15 start-ups that span the breadth of life sciences and healthcare. Nicole McKnight, PhD, Managing Director of BioLabs@NYULangone introduced a panel of two companies that presented their market and products. https://www.biolabs.io/location/new-york
- David Rooklin, CEO, Redesign Science: www.linkedin.com/in/david-rooklin-7485194a/
- Ashish Agarwal, CEO, Solvuu: https://solvuu.com
- The Biodesign Challenge offers art and design students the opportunity to envision future applications of biotechnology. Dan Grushkin, Executive Director of the Biodesign Challenge introduced the program and three of his studentsfrom winning teams in the last three national competitions held at MOMA. http://biodesignchallenge.org
- Tessa Callaghan, Co-Founder, AlgiKnit: https://www.algiknit.com/
- Aleksandra Gosiewski, Co-Founder, AlgiKnit
- Aaron Nesser, Co-Founder, AlgiKnit
9:30 AM – 10:00 AM – Meet the Developers/Property owners working to convert commercial space to life science use:
- Moderator: Jim Crispino, Healthcare Leader, Gensler
- Scott Metzner, Principal, Janus Property Company
- Sandy Reis, Vornado Realty Trust
10:00 AM – 10:15 AM – NYC EDC: Incentives and Programs that NYCEDC Can Deploy for the Real Estate Community Around Life Science Projects
- Carlo Yuvienco, Assistant Vice President, Life Sciences
10:15 AM – 10:30 AM – NYC Builds Bio+ Steering Committee introduced its membership program, the 2019 Calendar of Events, working groups and invited community participation.
- Nancy J Kelley, President & CEO, Nancy J Kelley + Associates
- Mitchel W. Simpler, Managing Partner, Jaros, Baum & Bolles
- Jonathan L. Mechanic, Partner and Chairman of the Real Estate Department, Fried Frank
- James C. McKenna, President & CEO, Hunter Roberts Construction Group
- Clete Casper, Director of Real Estate, Sabey Corporation
Event Photo Gallery