Tour the striking, 200,000-square-foot Advanced Science Research Center at CUNY and its uniquely laid out design. Join us for a tour of the Advanced Science Research Center at CUNY and its uniquely laid out design. Meet scientists and researchers that are working together in this collaborative layout and hear how this is enhancing their work.
4:30pm – 5:00pm: Check-in and Networking
5:00pm – 5:10pm: Welcome
Joshua Brumberg, Interim Director, ASRC and Dean for the Sciences, CUNY Graduate Center
5:10pm – 5:15 pm: Overview of the Meeting
Nancy J Kelley, President & CEO, Nancy J Kelley + Associates, Founding Member and Steering Committee, NYC Builds Bio+
5:15 pm – 5:30 pm: Overview of the Design and Construction
- Richard Garlock, PE, Partner, LERA Consulting Structural Engineers
- David Halpern AIA, LEED AP, Associate Principal, Director of the New York Office, Flad Architects
- Grace Han AIA, LEED AP BD+C, Associate Principal, Director of the New York Office, Flad Architects
- William Fulton, VP, Operations Manager, Skanska
- Tony Rinaldi, Senior Project Manager, Skanska
5:30 PM – 6:30 PM: Tours of The Advanced Science Research Center at CUNY
6:30pm – 7:00pm: Panel Presentation
• Nancy J Kelley, President & CEO, Nancy J Kelley + Associates, Founding Member and Steering Committee, NYC Builds BIO+
- Tavis Ezell, Business Development Director, New York State Sensor Center of Advanced Technology (CAT)
- Corporate Representative, Facilities User at the Advanced Science Research Center
- Jia Liu, PhD, Director, Epigenetics Facility
- Isela Lopez, Operations Manager, Comparative Medicine Unit/ In-Vivo Animal Facility
- Rein Ulijn, PhD, Director, Nanoscience Initiative
- Bernardo Tavora, PhD, Senior Scientist, Volastra Therapeutics
7:00pm – 8:00pm: Reception and Networking
Event Photo Gallery
About the Advance Science Research Center
Located on the south end of The City College campus in Upper Manhattan, the striking, 200,000-square-foot Advanced Science Research Center embodies a bold vision of 21st-century discovery. At the center’s core is a world-class facility designed to inspire an innovative approach to the scientific method itself, one that links a new wave of talented scientists with hundreds of top researchers from CUNY campuses across the city. Unlike a standard science building that lays out a biology floor and a chemistry floor and a physics floor, each in its own world, the ASRC is conceived to break down some of the traditional walls in science, incubating a culture of collaboration among researchers in five distinct but increasingly interconnected disciplines. The researchers in each of the five initiatives at the ASRC embrace this concept. From these collaborations comes transformational science.
While the five flagship initiatives do have their own floors in the ASRC, they are linked by design. With its flowing floor plans and wide-open central stairway, the glass-encased building promotes intellectual cross-pollination and partnerships between labs—a literal vertical integration of big ideas. Researchers from every corner of the five initiatives are working side by side in ASRC’s core facilities, sharing equipment that is among the most advanced of its kind. The ground floor features a nanofabrication facility that includes a 5,000-square-foot cleanroom where faculty and students throughout CUNY, as well as researchers from government and industry, are able to design and fabricate a wide range of micro and nano structures. The ASRC also offers state-of-the-art nuclear magnetic resonance spectrometers, a data analytic center that includes a wall of screens for visualization, and a rooftop observatory using advanced environmental-sensing equipment to collect and analyze earth and atmospheric data from satellites.
Vaccinations Against COVID
The health and safety of all participants is paramount. To comply with CUNY policy, every person coming to the ASRC must obtain and display a Cleared4 Pass to public safety before entering the building. Entry will not be authorized for any person without the Cleared4 Pass. Instructions for obtaining this pass will be emailed to you upon registration.